Featured Journal Articles
- “The Populist and Nationalist Roots of Trump’s Rhetoric” (2019) Rhetoric & Public Affairs.
- “Implicit Standards of Public Argument in Presidential Debates: What the 2016 Debates Reveal about Public Deliberation” (2018). Argumentation and Advocacy.
- “The First 2012 Presidential Campaign Debate: The Decline of Reason in Presidential Debates” (2013). Communication Studies.
- “Barack Obama and the Revitalization of Public Reason” (2011). Rhetoric & Public Affairs.
- “The Fierce Urgency of Now’: Barack Obama and the 2008 Presidential Election” (2010). American Behavioral Scientist.
- “The Symbolic DNA of Terrorism” (2008). Communication Monographs.
- “On Generic Categorization” (1991). Communication Theory.
- “On Mythic Criticism” (1990). Communication Studies.
- “On Limiting the Narrative Paradigm: Three Case Studies” (1989). Communication Monographs.
- Donald Trump’s Rhetoric and American Democracy. (2021) University Press of Kansas.
- Reasoned Argument and Social Change: Selected Papers from the 17th Alta Conference on Argumentation. (Editor). (2011). National Communication Association.
- Reagan at Westminster: Foreshadowing the End of the Cold War. (2010). Texas A&M University Press.
- Shared Land/Conflicting Identity: Trajectories of Israeli and Palestinian Symbol Use. (2002). Michigan State University Press.
- The Rhetoric of Menachem Begin: The Myth of Redemption Through Return. (1985). University Press of American.
- “Public Debate and American Democracy: Guidelines for Pedagogy” Penn State Center for Democratic Deliberation Conference (March 2015)
- “From Hope to Audacity” Bernard Brock Lecture, Wayne State University (April 2014)
- “From Hope to Audacity: The Rhetorical Trajectory of Barack Obama,” Hall Center for Humanities, University of Kansas (October 2012).
- “Obama in Osawatomie” Penn State (April 2012).
- “Communicating Leadership: Reagan, Rhetoric, and ‘The Great Communicator’ Revisited” The Ronald Reagan Centennial, USC School of Policy, Planning, and Development
- “Reagan at Westminster” Dole Presidential Lecture Series, Dole Institute of Politics, University of Kansas
- Kohrs-Campbell Prize in Rhetorical Criticism – National Communication Association
- B. Aubrey Fisher Article Award – Western Journal of Communication
- Kansas Bar Association Greatest Hits Award
- Wil A. Linkugel Departmental Leadership and Service Award – University of Kansas, Department of Communication Studies
- Rhetoric Keynote Reagan Centennial Conference
- Senior Scholar Award – National Communication Association
- Central States Communication Association Hall of Fame
- “Notable KU Faculty Member” – University of Kansas, Center for Teaching Excellence
- Outstanding Faculty Award – Department of Communication Studies, University of Kansas
- J. Michael Young Academic Advisor Award – College of Liberal Arts, University of Kansas
- Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education – National Communication Association